Tuesday, October 26, 2010

90's Albums: When Music Really Mattered

These are a few (5) albums I loved from the 90's. If anyone reads this blog (which I doubt they do) please feel free to comment with your own albums.

The Offspring 'Smash' (1994)
- the reason I got into punk rock. At first I liked it because they swore (I was only 10 when it came out) but then I found an outlet for anger I was missing. It was also released 3 days after Kurt Cobain's death. The album was catchy but harsh; fast paced yet sincere. It brought pop punk into the mainstream while still respecting the DIY roots.

Oasis '(What's The Story) Morning Glory?' (1995)
- being such a huge Beatles fan, it's hard to think that I would love obvious imitators, but god, I love this band. Such a great album of catchy hooks and happy melodies. 'Champagne Supernova' is still one of my favorite songs of all time, despite the overplaying done with it over the years. Funny story about Oasis: I went to see them in 2001; a co-headling tour with the Black Crowes. Went with a great group of people. We had a half ounce of weed and a ton of beer. After drinking a lot in the parking lot, we came up with the great idea of smoking when they played certain songs, figuring they would space them out: 'Wonderwall,' 'Champagne Supernova,' 'D'You Know What I Mean?' 'Supersonic' and 'All Around The World.' Wouldn't you know that they played 3 out of the 5 songs in a row, resulting in us being extremely high, still drunk, and starving for overpriced venue food. And, the Gallagher brothers fought on stage. Very much worth the price of admission. One of my favorite shows of all time.

Silverchair 'Frogstomp' (1995)
- such a cool album. I think what made me enjoy it so much was the fact that all 3 members (I'm also a sucker for worthy trios) were 15 years old when they released it. They couldn't drive, drink, or go to the mall without getting permission. The songs have held up over time. After Cobain's death (I feel like you can't talk about 90's music without mentioning Cobain a handful of times) it was unsure on whether Alternative Rock would die, much like Hair Metal did when Alternative Rock took over. The Young Aussie's proved that 'grunge' was still alive. I've been following all their other albums too, which are also wonderful; each one being a little different and mature.

Pearl Jam 'Ten' (1991)
- the first tape I ever bought with my own money (my first CD(s) were Michael Jackson's 'Jam ' and Snow's '12 Inches Of Snow;' ouch, that hurts me to this day.) I've always felt this strange sense of comfort with Eddie Vedder; like if he says it's ok to be 'Alive,' then he's right; he wouldn't lie to me. 'Release' still gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. It's scary to think that Pearl Jam have been a band for over 20 years. I've seen them over 25 times and every show is different. They got me into Death Cab For Cutie (DCFC opened for them). They've proven their longevity and continue to get better over time. They are definitely in my top 5 favorite bands of all time.

Gin Blossoms 'New Miserable Experience' (1992)
- this band made me want to play guitar. Robin Wilson has one of the greatest voices I've ever heard; so clean and crisp and genuine. When I first heard 'Found Out About You,' I hadn't had my heartbroken by a girl yet, but within those lyrics and melody, I could feel the pain he was going through and years later, I would feel myself. 'Street lights break on through the car window/And the time too often on AM radio/Well you know it's all I think about/ I write your name, drive past your house/ your boyfriend's over I watch your light go out.' God, that's a great fucking line. In 2005, the band I was in got to open for them. It was a field day at my buddy's college. We were actually suppose to open for Coheed and Cambria, but they had to cancel due to a death in the family. My band mates were kind of pissed because we were all really into C&C at the time, but I was so excited to not only see the Gin Blossoms, but to open for them. After our set, we walked off stage to find out they were watching our set while smoking cigarettes and drinking Jack Daniels out of the bottle. They were old crusty men, but could still put on a great show. Scottie Johnson (the guitarist) said he enjoyed our set (especially our Neil Young medley) even though we were still piss drunk/hungover from the night before. They signed my CD booklet and took pictures with us. It was a great day.

No comments: