Friday, January 14, 2011

Vinyl Junkie

I've become a vinyl junkie. Now, I believe there is a huge difference between a vinyl junkie and a vinyl snob. A vinyl junkie loves everything about a record; the smell, the art work, the linear notes, the grooves, the label. Within the time I listen to a record, I will inspect that (usually) cheaply made cardboard art work and inserts for everything. It's an experience more than a simple action of listening. A vinyl snob is someone who would rather keep their records unopened to preserve the quality than listen to them. These are the people that search out for rare records with funny colored wax who could care less about art and music but more about how unique their copy is. Looking for typos or original pressings. Liking something for all the wrong reasons. Similar to comic book snobs, which is something I never understood...

I think music sounds the best on vinyl. I even think music sounds better on tape rather than CD; and CD better than MP3.

The increase of technology has made music a lot easier to listen to but the enjoyment has decreased. I use to carry around a book of CD's religiously until I got an iPod. I loved looking through the book and deciding what ALBUM I wanted to listen to next; something I miss a lot now (as my finger slides back and forth around a wheel surrounded by 4 buttons.) And I do think it's a great idea giving a download code when a newer vinyl record is purchased. But nothing beats sitting down with a beer/glass of wine, sitting in a comfy chair, and listening to a 'Dream On Wax,' spin on and on.

To the vinyl junkies, keep up the good work.


VINYL WISHLIST (as of 1/14/2011)
Bon Iver 'For Emma, Forever Ago'
Radiohead 'Pablo Honey'
Fleet Foxes 'Self Titled'
Iron & Wine 'Creek Drank The Cradle'
The Roots 'Do You Want More?!!!??!'
Death Cab For Cutie 'Translanticism'
Jimmy Eat World 'Clarity'
Brand New 'Deja Entendu' (somebody on EBay wants $215 for it; what a dick)
Coheed & Cambria 'Second Stage Turbine' (another person on EBay wants $280 for it; dick)
Saves The Day 'Through Being Cool'
The Beatles EVERY ALBUM

No comments: