Friday, April 8, 2011

Mix #32: "Lords Of Hell"

- There's a quote in High Fidelity that reads, "Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" This sums up every aspect of my life. Savage Garden, in reality, are not really a good band, but they wrote and performed great pop music. And music, whether bad or good, can easily take you back to a memory. Their second album, 'Affirmation,' brings back a lot of memories. The most vivid memory was back in high school, my sophomore year. My girlfriend was going to see an ex-boyfriend at college (staying over for the night) which, when I think about today makes me shake my head in disbelief that I did not put up an argument. Nor did friends (who are no longer friends to me) or parents. That night, I remember listening to this album, hearing 'The Lover After Me,' and thinking: 'Oh shit, I've got a bad feeling about this.' Those were extremely dark days for me. That's the feeling I get when I listen to this album. It's kind of comforting to listen to a piece of music and have bad feelings brought back, but not dwell on them like you did when it was happening in real time. That you can empathize the old feeling but move on easily.
- I noticed while making this mix that I had not put Led Zeppelin on any mix. Shame on me. My good friend Kenny use to play 'Tangerine' all the time on guitar.
- 'Giving It All Up For Love,' is one of the most underrated Huey Lewis & The News songs. I love how the song is fun and the lyrics show that although they were a fairly serious band, they didn't always need to take themselves seriously. The harmonica rules too. Funny side note: my Dad was once mistaken for Huey Lewis at an airport. I can't say for sure, but I think he went along with it and posed for a picture.
- Jimmy Buffett is 71 days away...not that I'm counting down or anything.
- Can anyone guess where the name of this mix came from? If you are the first to answer and answer correctly, you pick a song and I'll start a mix off with it. 

   


Mix #32: "Lords Of Hell," Side A

Mix #32: "Lords Of Hell," Side B



MIX TAPE REVOLUTION
MIX TAPE #32
LORDS OF HELL”
A    JEFFERSON                                         B   JACKSON
1) ‘Comin Thru’
Chali 2na

1) ‘Rock and Roll Band’
Boston
2) ‘Remember Me (Phil Ochs)’
Kind Of Like Spitting

2) ‘It’s Like That’
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
3) ‘Only A Fool’
The Black Crowes

3) ‘Impossible Outcome (Metroshifter)’
The Get Up Kids
4) ‘Natural Born Farmer’
Glassjaw

4) ‘New Blue Moon’
The Traveling Wilburys
5) ‘Tangerine’
Led Zeppelin

5) ‘Freedom’
Soulive & Corey Glover
6) ‘The Lover After Me’
Savage Garden

6) ‘Thank You’
Descendents
7) ‘Song For You’
Fuel

7) ‘Orange Crush’
R.E.M.
8) ‘Tin Man’
The Avett Brothers

8) ‘The Day We Started’
This Day & Age
9) ‘The Crooked One (Live)’
Umphrey’s McGee

9) ‘Promises’
Badly Drawn Boy
10) ‘Gypsy’
Bonobo

10) ‘Lazy Afternoon’
Rebelution
11) ‘Wrapped Around Your Finger’
The Police

11) ‘Suits and Ladders’
NOFX
12) ‘My Favorite Accident’
Motion City Soundtrack

12) ‘Waiting In Vain (Bob Marley/Live)’
Jimmy Buffett
13) ‘Giving It All Up For Love’
Huey Lewis & The News

13) ‘True Love Will Find You In The End’
Daniel Johnston


New mix on Monday. Have a good weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adventures in Babysitting. Duh.

MTM said...

Yeah. Elisabeth Shue is hot. Want to pick a song for a mix next week?