Friday, March 11, 2011

Mix #18: "Short, But Sweet For Certain"

Dave Matthews is a trailblazer of the grass roots movement in music. There is sense of comfort with his music yet the ability to open up and experience something new. There are only a handful of bands still together that I grew up listening to and still enjoy. Pearl Jam is one; Radiohead is one; and Dave Matthews is one. With him, I've grown up to new phases of life with him as a soundtrack. It's taken me years to start to enjoy some of his albums-I didn't care for 'Before These Crowded Streets,' 'Everyday,' or his solo effort, 'Some Devil,' when they first came out. But every time something is released by Dave (solo, studio, live, guest appearance, etc;) I have to get it.

I plan on making at least 2 tapes worth of Dave's best stuff (in my opinion.) Some of his live tunes go on forever but are still important to the make-up of his work. I will try and do a track by track analysis on why I chose the songs and versions that I did.

Mix #18: "Short, But Sweet For Certain," Side A

Mix #18: "Short, But Sweet For Certain," Side B



MIX TAPE REVOLUTION
MIX TAPE #18
SHORT, BUT SWEET FOR CERTAIN”
A   MONKEY SEE                                        B   MONKEY DO
1) Best Of What’s Around*

1) Tripping Billies*
2) Up and Away**

2) Pantala Naga* Pampa/Rapunzel
3) One Sweet World***

3) Some Devil**
4) American Baby*

4) Smooth Rider*
5) Drive In, Drive Out*

5) Rhyme and Reason*
6) Say Goodbye***

6) Grey Street*
7) Why I Am*

7) Stay Or Leave***
8) So Right*

8) Typical Situation*
9) Proudest Monkey*

9) Bartender*



* DMB


** Solo


*** w/Tim Reynolds





"SHORT, BUT SWEET FOR CERTAIN," SIDE A
1) My very first taste of Dave Matthews; as it is the opening track to, 'Under The Table and Dreaming.' My Dad had the album and played it a lot. I couldn't help but fall in love with it.
2) A nice hidden gem on his solo album. Nice love song over reggae vibe.
3) I never cared for the full band version. I just could never follow the groove that well until I heard it done acoustically with Tim Reynolds. The 'Live @ Luther College' is classic, but I switched it up a little (this version is from 'Live @ Radio City Music Hall.)
4) A lot of people think this song is cheesy, lame, and overplayed. I think this song is great. It reminds me of driving to Somerville in the summer of 05'-06'-being stuck in construction traffic but not caring because of warm weather, cigarettes, and good tunes.
5) Great jam section (studio and live versions)
6) Such a sad and intimate song. The studio version is excellent, but there is something to say for a drunk Dave, an orchestrated-style player like Tim, and a nice simple desire song. You can hear the frustration once had by Dave in every lyric.
7) Dedication to Leroi: Dave playing an electric guitar is always different but cool. Love the lyric, 'Till I was slave and master at the same damn time.' Gnarly guitar solo.
8) The lyrics in this one. I remember when it first came out in the winter of 01' I had written something similar a few months before. I had spent that fall in a happy haze of pot and beer. 'The Spot,' as it was like to be called, was at that point in time, a secret hideaway for a select few-a place we could go to tie on a buzz, laugh, sing, and dance among bonfires. I remember being mad that Dave wrote it first.
9) This version from 'Live @ Red Rocks' is the best version ever recorded. Leroi's saxophone gives me goose bumps every time I hear it (and I make sure I hear it a lot.) Just for fun, can anyone name my favorite part in his sax solos? Comment with the time it occurs.

"SHORT, BUT SWEET FOR CERTAIN," SIDE B
1) This version is taken from the 'Woodstock '99,' compilation. The highlight is seeing it performed on tape; Dave and Boyd go insane, pushing each other further and further in to the depths of the tune. There is barely any hair left on his violin bow.
2) These two songs have to go together. I like the studio version because of the electric guitar parts you can hear in the background-it gives a little more of a funky vibe.
3) Sad, haunting, beautiful. Enough said.
4) It's rare to see a Dave song under five minutes; this song is 2:17. And it's a cool song. Live versions go on for longer but I thought this was a cool point to make on a studio album.
5) The drums (like most) make this song great. It's dark and luminous.
6) 'Live @ Fenway,' may not be the best version of this song, but it's a hometown thing. I remember hearing this song for the first time the summer of 01'. A two night stint at Foxborough Stadium (Gillette Stadium was being built next door.) The first day was a shit show-a lot of beer and booze. The second night was much more relaxed and enjoyable. A few of my buddies and I didn't drink that night, but brought a few joints in for the show. I remember them playing 'Grey Street' as we lit up and felt the skies open up with rain. It was a wonderful moment I will never forget (The day before was the first time I heard 'Bartender,'and I remember thinking how great these songs were going to be to the catalog.)
7) The give up song. The lyrics are full of 'what could have beens.' I love the flamenco style guitar playing by Tim. 
8) The song has ups and downs-similar to adolescence. I was going through some weird 'situations' (see how I did that) in early high school and this song kind of rode the wave of emotions with me. The studio version is the best.
9) I mentioned this song earlier (briefly). Hearing it live for the first time was incredible; deep saxophones and march mode drumming. The lyrics are optimistic in a cryptic kind of way. And it went on forever (I think quite a few joints were smoked during this song alone.) I put the studio version as a time thing; I do like many live versions though.

A new mix will be ready for Monday morning. Have a good weekend. Take care of yourselves.

No comments: